Thursday, March 9, 2017

Balls! Balls, I Say!

This is a brief but sincere plug (non-compensated, by the way) for the McIntyre Golf Company; they manufacture and sell replica golf balls conforming to various periods of hickory-era golf.

I just received my second order from these folks, and as before, I'm extremely pleased by the rapidity of them filling and delivering my golf balls. While my first order was a sleeve of three mesh-pattern balls called "The Ouimet" (named for Frances Ouimet, winner of the 1913 US Open), I went whole hog this time and ordered a dozen (Yes, TWELVE!) of their dimpled "RTJ" balls...no doubt named after Robert Tyre Jones, legendary amateur golf champion.

While these high-quality replicas are much more expensive ($42/dozen vs. the $16/dozen I pay for my usual ball, the Wilson "DUO"), they are a good investment...because most formal hickory golf events require these replicas be used. Buying them individually is much more expensive, and I sure don't want to risk running out during a hard-fought match!

They also make reproductions of gutta-percha balls from the 1850s-1900s, like the balls played by Scottish Golf Legends "Old Tom" Morris and his even more accomplished son, "Young Tommy Morris". I'm tempted to buy a couple to see how they perform compared to newer versions.

You can find McIntyre Golf Company on the internet: Check out their website!

P.S. Thanks, Billy Bogey, for catching my "Hickorookie Mistake"!

No comments:

Post a Comment