Saturday, March 11, 2017

If It Ain't Raining, It Ain't Training...Or Hickory Golf, Apparently!


Just a quick post to mention my growing suspicion, that at least in Washington State all hickory golf events are required to take place in the rain. Call me paranoid, but EVERY ONE of the four events I've attended were on wet, rainy days. The one that I didn't make it to was rescheduled three times (frost/snow), until it was finally played...IN A DRIVING RAINSTORM!

Now I'm fully aware that precipitation is a likely occurence in Scotland and Ireland, so wet weather is part of hickory golf's DNA, but I have it on reliable authority that Old Tom Morris, Willie Park, Bobby Jones, and Donald Ross also played golf on sunny days.

So, what's this foul weather rant have to do with the accompanying photo? Well, today's opportunity to play while waterlogged was in honor of a living legend in Pacific Northwest Hickory and Modern Golf, Mr. Don Mojean. The "Don Mojean Cup" was begun to recognize the many significant contributions Mr. Mojean has made to our sport...and rather than the traditional, posthumous honor, Don is an active participant and host! This lively 27 hole match play contest takes place at Highland Golf Club in Tacoma, WA, where Don is the head pro. The format parallels the Ryder Cup matches, and it's hard-fought fun...and it is usually (well, always) raining cats and dogs for most of the day. This year, the Red Team battled the Green Team, and perhaps because I was a member of the Green Team, we lost, 7 points to 5. I did not score a point, well, except for the fashion points I might have accrued by sporting my new Royal Blue knickers! They were tres' comfy, dried out rather quickly, and only cost me $30! (Thank you, GolfKnickers.com, for your "Mulligan Grab Bag Deal"!)

No comments:

Post a Comment